The Center for Family Learning in its almost forty years of existence has made numerous contributions to the field of family psychiatry, psychology, social work and marriage and family therapy. The purpose of this website is to preserve and make accessible key components of that body of work for the use of clinicians, students, and researchers in their quest to continue to refine their understanding and methods of clinical intervention with families struggling with normal developmental issues and periods of intense dysfunction.
The initial five educational packages on the site are in various stages of readiness for placement. The first two are already available to view on the site and the remaining three will be posted in early 2011.
1. The collected papers of Thomas Fogarty MD are together for the first time in the fifty year career of Dr. Fogarty as a family psychiatrist. All of his writings have been brought together for the benefit of clinicians and family researchers.
2. “Becoming a Triangle Doctor”, a complete chapter from Relationship Triangles: The One, Two Three of Psychotherapy(Guerin, Fogarty, Fay & Kautto - Guilford Press, 1996). It is a highly acclaimed text translated into several foreign languages including Chinese. It has been in hard cover to the present and the first paperback edition was released in the fall of 2010.
3. The family genogram was first presented in the literature in 1972 in a chapter by Guerin and Fogarty in The Book of Family Therapy(Ferber, Mendelsohn & Napier - Science House, 1972) The genogram is an instrument to organize the structure of the family relationships, their developmental and situational stressors, the key triangles, the relationship conflict and the individual emotional and physical dysfunction in a multigenerational family system. It has been used by countless therapists in this country and abroad. The chapter presented here, "Evaluation of Family System and Genogram", written by Guerin and Pendagast is from Family Therapy: theory and Practice(Guerin (editor) - Gardner Press, 1976).
4. “The Treatment of Stage Three Marital Conflict”, a complete chapter from the 1987 text, The Evaluation and Treatment of Marital Conflict(Guerin, Fay, Burden & Kautto - Basic Books, 1987).
5. The Family Systems Training (FST) course was developed by CFL's faculty for presentation to the community with special contributions by Eileen G. Pendagast, Charles o. Sherman.